The Long Island Traditional Music Association
"giving you that old song and dance"
Questions (and some answers)
- Do I need to know the dances ahead of time?
NO. All dances are taught right there as we do them.
- Do I need to have a partner? NO.
Singles are welcome, and so are couples, families, and groups of friends.
- Do I need dancing shoes? NO. Soft
soled shoes are highly recommended because they will be easy on your feet
and easy on our floors.
- Are there lessons for beginners? YES.
Arrive early and be ready to dance at 7:45 for a lesson.
- Are refreshments available? YES -
because we bring them to share with each other. Please consider
bringing an item to share at our refreshment table. There is also
water to keep you hydrated and dancing
- I'd like to talk to someone about other questions
I have - who can I call? Our dance volunteers. Please leave
a message if we don't pick up -- we are volunteers
- I've never heard of contradancing before, is it
done anywhere else? YES. Although LITMA has the only regular
schedule of contradances on Long Island, if you get hooked, you can find
dances almost anyplace else you go. Check out
Ted Crane's Dance
Database for listings of dances throughout the country!
Contact a dance
volunteer: Call the volunteer for the dance you will be attending.
- For Smithtown dances call Chart at (631) 369-7854
- For Water Mill Dances call Karin Strong at 631 725- 3103
- For Westbury Dances call Lauren at (631) 746-4270
back to the top of this page